October 15th PLC Plans

by Ashley Greschner 4 years, 6 months ago

Thank you all for your well wishes and understanding on my absense on the PLC meeting. Also, thank you to all of you who have already emailed me their immplimentation plans. We have some great ideas happening.

Below I will list what everyone's plans are. We will meet again in March for a full day.

Janelle Kahovec - Plans to use Nicole Gelowtiz's word work activities and thinking clouds in her daily reading rotations. She was using the afternoon to create resources and set everything up.

Melanie Ward and Mikala Dimitroff - Melanie plans on re implimenting the phonics program into her morning routine. Mikala will start full time teaching soon and they are working together to create Daily 5 rotations for morning work based on all the ideas that were shared around rotoations and word work.

Saudia Samuels-Houston - Plans on using the Boggle word work idea in her word work rotation presented by Nicole Gelowitz. Here is how Saudia plans to use this in her classroom:

This is how I see Boggle in action in my Language Arts lessons:

Step 1:  Positioned myself at each group's table as they tried Boggle as part of word work.

Step 2;  Explain that words can be made going across, up, down and diagonal, much like a word search.  Show examples.
Step 3:  To get kids coming up with better words than the most obvious, I would start giving clues.  For example if I see the word "gash" I would then say; "I see a word that means a deep cut", "it starts with the letter "g", or, "it's in "G" in the top row" or even find a word that it rhymes with and so on.  My intention is to use Boggle to practice spelling, vocabulary, rhyming words, plurals, synonyms, homophones, and other grammar concepts.
Saudia also accessed all of the ag in the classroom resources that were shared by Melanie Ward. She is very excited to use this resource in science but still waiting for the resources to arrive.

Nicole Gelowitz - Plans to use Yoga in the classroom that was presented by Tanya Geroget. She is going to use this as a body break between classes. She wants to use the stretching and mindfulness aspects of yoga. Nicole had her librarian order one of the imagination books that was shared by Tanya.

Tanya Georget- Plans to incorperate the Jennifer Serravello reading strategies resource that was shared by Janelle Kahovec. She has ordered the resource through her librarian and plans to use it in her reading units.

Nicole Bustillo - Plans on incoroperating the Boggle game idea into her Daily 5 rotations, specifically the word work station. She is also going to incorperate the Michelle Pantel ELA curriculum guide shared by Saudia. She wants to use this to plan the rest of her ELA untis. Nicole also ordered a bunch of resources from the Ag in the Classroom that she plans on incorperating into her Health, Social, and Science units that were shared by Melanie Ward.

Pam Sawatzky - Pam's plan is to use the 6+1 Trait Crate that was shared by Celene Longmire. She is also attending a workshop called purposeful writers on October 21st in Saskatoon and is interested to see how these methods coinside.

Jackie Zagoury -Plans to use the 6+1 Trait Crate that was shared by Celene Longmire.They looked like a great resource to teach writing.

Ashley Greschner - Plans to use the trifold board idea presented by Janis Flynn. She will use these to showcase QR codes, vocabulary, themes and folders with resources in them. It could be used in math as well as seasonal writing stations. She is also going to sign up for the English and Math IXL and use that as whole group instruction with her students. This resource was presented by Jackie Zaguory. 

Celene Longmire - Plans to use the AITC resources showcased by Melanie Ward. She has ordered her soil kid and wants to use it to compliment her soil unit is science.

Janis Flynn- Janis plans to use a few strategies shared. She is going to use the comprehension clouds shared by Nicole. She has also been exploring See Saw and using the training videos shared by Pam Sawatzk. She plans to use the learning activities on See Saw and is getting ready to use the activities in her math place value lessons this week.